git blame is instructive here. The commit in question is:
https://github.com/golang/go/commit/166b1219b8a5b246c83986c7ecef3d15c85c8150

I can't claim to fully understand the commit message, but I believe that
this change will cause the runtime to allocate both values together, rather
than separately, and this slightly reduces GC pressure.