On Sun, 21 Feb 2021, at 5:23 PM, robert engels wrote:
> Can someone please explain the benefit of ‘error return’ over ‘checked
> exceptions’ ? I have made the point a few times and it goes to crickets
> - I have to believe that is because there is none, or it is difficult
> to communicate.

I think since this is a Go list, the onus is on advocates of exceptions to
demonstrate the benefit of checked exceptions over error return values.

Here are a couple of scenarios that I encountered recently that had logical
linear flow with error returns. I'm curious how they would be improved with
checked exceptions:

1) open three files for writing, closing the earlier ones if a subsequent one
fails to open

2) open a file for append, falling back to creating a new writeable file if the
original is read-only or doesn't exist. The new file creation may also fail due
to disk errors or permissions.

I can envisage how to write them with exceptions but I'm struggling to see
where it would be more succinct or easier to read.