On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 4:52 PM Rich <rma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I really WANT to use go modules on all my projects, but there are times I
> just want to write a quick piece of code that I can 'go run'. Its usually
> just 20 lines, just used to test something out like a rest call to an
> internal server (can't do that on go playground) and for me go modules just
> makes it more complex. So what I do is what Reto stated above, set an
> environment variable for GO111MODULE=OFF.  Now at the command line I can
> write a quick code sample and just type 'go run sample.go' and it runs.
> For my projects where I want go modules I use a Make file:
>
> GO111MODULE=on GOOS=linux GOARCH=amd64 go build $(compilerFlag) -o
> mygoproject mygoproject.go othergofiles.go...

I may have missed it, but could you clarify why you can't just create your
sample.go and 'go run' it with Go 1.16? No need to create a module for
this.

------------------------
/tmp$ ls go.mod
ls: cannot access 'go.mod': No such file or directory

/tmp$ cat sample.go
package main

import "fmt"

func main() {
   fmt.Println("hello")
}

/tmp$ go version
go version go1.16 linux/amd64

/tmp$ go run sample.go
hello

Or is your 'sample.go' importing code from outside the standard library?

Eli