I got as far as this

func BenchmarkPopCountSimple(b *testing.B) {
    sum := 0 // Avoid dead code elimination.
    for i := 0; i < b.N; i++ {
        sum += PopCount(0x1234567890abcdef)

I added additional benchmarks

func BenchmarkPopCountSimpleX(b *testing.B) {
    sum := 0 // Does not avoid dead code elimination.
    for i := 0; i < b.N; i++ {
        sum += PopCount(0x1234567890abcdef)

var sum = 0 // Avoid dead code elimination.

func BenchmarkPopCountSimpleY(b *testing.B) {
    sum = 0
    for i := 0; i < b.N; i++ {
        sum += PopCount(0x1234567890abcdef)

func BenchmarkPopCountSimpleZ(b *testing.B) {
    for i := 0; i < b.N; i++ {
        // Dead code elimination.

The results

$ go version
go version devel go1.17-3b770f2ccb Sun May 30 17:47:50 2021 +0000
linux/amd64
$ go test -bench=BenchmarkPopCountSimple
BenchmarkPopCountSimple-4        1000000000             0.3634 ns/op
BenchmarkPopCountSimpleX-4       1000000000             0.3727 ns/op
BenchmarkPopCountSimpleY-4       508559316              2.295 ns/op
BenchmarkPopCountSimpleZ-4       1000000000             0.3655 ns/op
$

It doesn't look like you have avoided dead code elimination for
BenchmarkPopCountSimple.

Peter