On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 12:35:16AM -0700, Brian Candler wrote:

> The key point I just learned from #40276:
> "Vendor directories are not included in module zip files."
>
> I found this surprising because -mod=vendor is now the default (here
> <https://golang.org/ref/mod#vendoring>) - therefore, I expected the vendor
> directory, if present in the source, always to be used unless explicitly
> disabled.

An interesting point regarding our particular case - which I sadly failed to
mention - is that we do not use any module proxies for own internal projects,
and the hostname of our GitLab instance is listed in the GONOPROXY environment
variable, so technically `go install` did not download a "classic" module,
which is a ZIP archive file, but has rather performed the usual sequence of
issuing a HTTP GET request with the "?go-get=1" query parameter followed by a
shallow clone of the target Git repository.
Hence technically the "vendor" directory with its full contents was available.

But yes, that point of yours is a sensilbe one; it sheds some light on the
reasoning behind the behaviour have observed.

[...]
> It might also be worth a mention at https://golang.org/ref/mod#zip-files
> that vendor directories are excluded from module zip files (although I
> wouldn't be reading that section if I was only interested in how vendoring
> works)

I would say the doc could make use of some cross-referencing: this fact could
be mentioned either there or in the section on vendoring, and the remaining
section could contain a single statement about the fact with the link to a
full explanation in the other section.

What do you think?

[...]