On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 12:22:08 AM UTC-4 Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 9:16 PM tapi...@gmail.com <tapi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 12:12:13 AM UTC-4 Ian Lance Taylor
> wrote:

> people would expect to use the latest features.
> same as the version of the toolchain containing gc.
> >>
> >> I believe it is. If I run "go mod init" then in the result go.mod
> >> file I see the current language version.
> >

> > My project was created long before. There is not the "go" directive in
> go.mod.
> >
> > Does it mean I must run "go mod tidy" before run other go commands since
> Go 1.17?
>
> You will need to edit the "go" line in your go.mod file to your
> desired language version, or run "go mod edit -go=1.17". Running "go
> mod tidy" will not change the language version in your go.mod file,
> nor should it.
>
> Ian

But "go mod tidy" will add the "go 1.17" line if the directive line doesn't
exist there. It will help.

Ian, I still don't understand why gc doesn't think the language version is
go1.17 if the directive is missing.
It looks, without this line, Go 1.14 introduced overlapping interface
embedding code compiles okay.
So gc 1.17rc2 must use a language version in [1.14, 1.17).