On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 10:50 AM Brian Candler <b.cand...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Of course, you should write your own programs which work in the way which
> suits you best.
>
> If I understand your original post correctly, you are making two proposals:
>
> 1. Modifying the language to have some sort of shortcut for "if err != nil
> { panic(err) }"
> 2. Modifying Go documentation to tell newcomers to Go that this is a good
> pattern to adopt.
>
> All I'm saying is that I disagree on both counts - but it's just a matter
> of one person's opinion over another.

FWIW I also disagree on both counts. And I feel comfortable in saying that
while this might be an opinion, I believe it is one strongly held by a
large majority of Go programmers. I can't see any future in which we would
add a builtin like this to the language or where first party docs would
recommend this. Third parties can, of course, recommend what they want.