On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 5:53:50 PM UTC+2 Brian Candler wrote:

> On Wednesday, 8 June 2022 at 10:09:26 UTC+1 andig wrote:
>
>> We've not found an approach for communicating with the device sofar
>> unless using patched Go stdlib.
>>

> Connect via a proxy like stunnel?
>
> Out of interest, does raw "openssl s_client" allow communication with the
> device?

We receive an alert 40 (Handshake failure ) when using openssl. So the cert
is definitively faulty in some way.

 :~/wallbox/hack$ openssl s_client  -connect 192.168.1.180:4712

CONNECTED(00000005)

depth=0 CN = EEBUS, O = EVBox Intelligence, C = NL

verify error:num=18:self signed certificate

verify return:1

depth=0 CN = EEBUS, O = EVBox Intelligence, C = NL

verify return:1

140477570593216:error:14094410:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert
handshake failure:../ssl/record/rec_layer_s3.c:1528:SSL alert number 40

---

Certificate chain

0 s:CN = EEBUS, O = EVBox Intelligence, C = NL

   i:CN = EEBUS, O = EVBox Intelligence, C = NL

---

Server certificate

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIIBszCCAVmgAwIBAgIBATAKBggqhkjOPQQDAjA6MQ4wDAYDVQQDDAVFRUJVUzEb

Seems that in this case- if we regard openssl as "the standard" it's
obsolete to talk about Go.

> It would seem reasonable to me for InsecureSkipVerify to skip certificates
> without parsing them at all.  It is, after all, insecure by definition.

It doesn't do that as it checks for supported ciphers afterwards, so it
needs to decode the cert first.

Cheers,
Andi