Thomas -- thank you for taking the time to reply.

This is one of the BIGGEST headaches coming from another language is Go
Mod, and for a language that brags about being simple, fast to write, and
fast to compile -- well I can't compile it if go mod can't download it --
even though it's right there in my GOPATH! Simple? The documentation on Go
Mod is as extensive as 'Effective Go'. Usually this is where I turn off
Gomod and just do without it.