gorrila/websocket is a very mature library. The current maintainer stepping
down doesn't change that.
I wouldn't avoid it. The very fact that its been so stable and successful
for so long that there's
nothing left to do on it is actually a recommendation.

Nice tutorial:

https://blog.markvincze.com/programmatically-refreshing-a-browser-tab-from-a-golang-application/