Something to consider: if you untar over an existing installation, then
it's possible you will be left with stale artefacts - e.g. source files
that were in an old version that aren't in the new one. I've been bitten by
this in other projects.

I haven't been bitten by this in Go, but I always mv or rm the old
/usr/local/go our of the way before untarring a fresh one to avoid the
possibility.