Hello.
This is a request for comments on an idea I had.

While working on a personal project, I noticed that quite a few structs in
the standard library, exported or otherwise, could have their memory
footprint reduced by simply reordering their members so that padding
required for alignment is reduced or even eliminated.
This can be in exported and unexported structs, and in both exported and
unexported fields.
Examples as of Go 1.20.3, on an amd64 host:

   - moving the member h of the unexported struct crypto/sha1.digest to the
   end would remove 4 bytes of padding between x and nx

   - moving the unexported minInputLen field of the regexp.Regexp struct to
   right after matchcap will remove 6 bytes of padding
   - The Typeflag member of archive/tar.Header could be moved to the end of
   the struct, removing 7 bytes of padding

Instances similar to the first two examples should be fairly frictionless,
only affecting code that makes unsafe assumptions about standard library
internals.
Examples of the third would, at the very least, break unkeyed struct
literals, either at compile-time or silently at run-time, depending on the
types in use and whether the instantiation uses a compatible literal.
While implementing the third example does not seem to go against the Go 1
compatibility promise, it would seem like a fairly unpopular change if it
caused large swathes of code utilizing unkeyed struct literals to stop
compiling or, worse, break silently, and unless using them is prohibited at
some point (at least for non-locally-defined structs), it'll probably be
avoided. As far as I can tell, the status is similar for Go assembly.

As a benefit, this would lead to some small reductions in memory usage per
instance of many structs, potentially leading to reduced need to grow the
stack of threads. Though there are arguments that could be made against
this as well, such as that some structs may contain multiple "groups" of
data (which are not split up into multiple structs, for whatever reason)
which shouldn't be split up, or that it could cause too much churn for too
little benefit (I have not implemented nor benchmarked this at the moment),
or that this is good, but it should be handled in the compiler instead.

I already made something to automatically generate a list of structs in the
standard library which have padding, based on my project.

   1. Would a pull request with struct reordering to reduce padding be
   welcomed?
   2. Is there any chance of a policy of "try to avoid padding, if
   practical" being put in place for future additions to the standard library?
   3. What about the gc compiler reordering struct member ordering at
   compile-time for the same effect, and in third-party code as well?