I don't think this argument holds much weight.  I understand and agree that
the majority is not always correct.  But then what was the point of the
developer survey, if that data is irrelevant?  Isn't the existence of the
developer survey an implicit statement by the Go team that they care about
what Go developers think?  There is also a very similar argument here which
was central to the generics debate and was one of the major arguments in
favor of implementing generics - that it would significantly help some
people, and it wouldn't hurt anyone else very much.  So similarly, "I don't
mind it the way it is" is not a very good argument.

I don't speak for the Go team, but my impression is that they do care about
this issue, and would like to reduce the boilerplate/verbosity of error
handling if they could.  But that they have seen hundreds of different
proposals (thousands if you include variations on a theme), and haven't
found any that qualify for the requirements that are more important to Go's
nature than just verbosity.