On Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 7:54 AM Antonio Caceres Cabrera
<juliocacerc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Go vet complains about this minimal example code
>
>     type Foo struct {
>     val atomic.Uint64
>     }
>
>     func main() {
>     var foos = make([]Foo, 0)
>     var bar Foo
>     bar.val.Store(5)
>     foos = append(foos, bar) // call of append copies lock value:
> example.com/foo.Foo contains sync/atomic.Uint64 contains sync/atomic.noCopy
>
>     }
>
> Because the types of the sync package are not supposed to be copied.
> This is also true for sync.Map, sync.Mutex, sync.WaitGroup etc.
>
> However, if I instead copy in a zero-value Foo and then set that, go vet does
> not complain, even if later appends are done:
>
>     func main() {
>     var foos = make([]Foo, 0)
>     foos = append(foos, Foo{})
>     foos[0].val.Store(5)
>     foos = append(foos, Foo{})
>     foos = append(foos, Foo{})
>     // append some more
>         // ...
>     fmt.Println(foos)
>     }
>
> However, is this supposed to be safe, or is go vet just not catching it?
> Even if copying a zero-value of such a type is safe, append() might have to
> re-allocate the underlying array, which includes copying the existing values,
> which might already have been used, as foo[0] has been in this case. This
> would violate the noCopy trait of the type. My question is thus:
>
> Is it safe to keep nocopy types from the sync and sync.atomic packages in a
> slice, given that they might internally be copied when the slice is appended
> to?
>
> Of course, copying these types is not by itself atomic or synchronized with
> other accesses. So let's assume that I, as the programmer, guarantee that
> while an append happens, this slice will only be accessed by the one
> appending goroutine, using other synchronization primitives, such as mutex,
> channels etc. or by only running these appends in the main before any other
> go-routine is started.

Doing an append on a slice of types that contain atomic types is in
general not safe and go vet is not catching it.

If your program can guarantee that while the append is happening there
is no concurrent access to the atomic types, then I think that is
safe.  It's not safe in general for all nocopy types, but it's safe
for types like atomic.Uint64.  It doesn't seem like a very clear way
to write a program though.  It may be better to use a slice of
pointers: in your example, []*Foo.  Or precount the size of the slice
to ensure that append won't copy it.

Ian