Comparison to native speeds is the key attraction of WASM. From the go.org
blog published 10 days ago: https://go.dev/blog/wasi

"WebAssembly (Wasm) <https://webassembly.org/> is a binary instruction
format originally designed for the web. It represents a standard that
allows developers to run high-performance, low-level code directly in web
browsers at near-native speeds."

And from the front page of webassembly.org

"The Wasm stack machine <https://webassembly.org/docs/semantics/> is
designed to be encoded in a size- and load-time-efficient binary format
<https://webassembly.org/docs/binary-encoding/>. WebAssembly aims to
execute at native speed by taking advantage of common hardware capabilities
<https://webassembly.org/docs/portability/#assumptions-for-efficient-execution>
available on a wide range of platforms."