Beats me.  It seems to be some sort of pixie dust you'll often need to apply.
You don't need it for String, Long, Date, and a variety of other jdk classes,
but I think you will need it for your classes.  I don't understand why it's not
used in the GAE web site's documentation.

Tito George wrote:
> Thanks, It is working. Is this an issue? Or is it specific to Text
>
> On Nov 3, 11:00 am, Rusty Wright <rwright.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What happens if you change @Persistent to @Persistent(defaultFetchGroup =
>> "true")
>> ?
>>

>> Tito George wrote:
>>> Enviornment: Local
>>> I have a Text field in one Persistent capable object,
>>> @Persistent
>>> private com.google.appengine.api.datastore.Text event_Description;
>>> I am sure that i am not setting null into this field.
>>> But while operating on queried object event_Description.getValue() is
>>> throwing  NullPointerException. I am quering like this.
>>> public static Map<Long, Event> getEvents(AppUser appUser){
>>>            PersistenceManager pm =
>>> PMF.getInstance().getPersistenceManager();
>>>            Query query = pm.newQuery(Event.class);
>>>            query.setFilter("email == pEmail");
>>>            query.declareParameters("String pEmail");
>>>            List<Event> result = null;
>>>            Map<Long, Event> eventsMap = null;
>>>            try {
>>>                    result = (List<Event>) query.execute(appUser.getEmail());
>>>                    eventsMap = new HashMap<Long, Event>();
>>>                    for(Event e: result){
>>>                              //LINE TO REPLACE
>>>                            eventsMap.put(e.getEvent_ID(), e);
>>>                    }
>>>            } finally {
>>>                    pm.close();
>>>                    query.closeAll();
>>>            }
>>>            return eventsMap;
>>>    }
>>> Its works fine if I replace above commented line(//LINE TO REPLACE)
>>> with
>>> String str = e.getEvent_Description();
>>> or
>>> sop(e.getEvent_Description());