Can you convert its format with the images service?  Gif is 8 bits per pixel so
if it's resizing it in that format I can understand why it would end up ugly
(when it's merging pixels it's choosing the result color from the existing
limited 256 color palette).  If you can convert its format, try converting it
to tiff (24 bits, not 8), resize it, then convert it back to gif.  If you can't
specify 24 bits for the tiff then it may be a waste of time because it may do
it in 8 bit mode.