Hello App Engine Developers,

As part of our ongoing efforts to improve release quality and
transparency, we will start prereleasing SDKs for early testing. We
hope this gives developers a chance to participate in our release
process by trying out new changes and sending feedback. As of this
morning, the prerelease SDK for our next release, 1.2.8, is available
in the familiar download location (note that the filename ends in
'prerelease.zip'):

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/downloads/list

If you're interested, please download and give it a try locally with
your favorite App Engine code. Please note that, as a prerelease, this
SDK is not yet supported and still subject to change. Thus, please
don't take critical dependencies or make substantial changes to
production apps based on this SDK.

Importantly, this prerelease is purely for the SDK and is intended for
local testing and development in dev_appserver. The server-side of App
Engine (our production environment) is not at 1.2.8, so deploying with
this SDK is not yet supported. In the future, we might enable a
complete SDK and server test environment for prereleases.

A few notes on 1.2.8 in particular - this release is primarily for
servicing and updates in preparation for some exciting feature
launches we have in the pipeline. The current release notes (still
subject to change) are included below; these release notes do include
changes which will only be available on the server side Admin Console
(non-local) once 1.2.8 is formally released.

Please try 1.2.8 for local development and send us your feedback!

Thanks,

App Engine Team

Version 1.2.8
=============
  - Support for JAXB. JAXB is included in JDK 1.6 (and App Engine's
production
    servers). If you're using JDK 1.5 with your local dev_appserver,
you will
    need to include the JAXB libraries with your application to use
it.
      http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1267
  - Added Quota API (com.google.appengine.api.quota) to match Python
API.
  - Low-level Memcache API now supports grabTail() and batchIncrement
().
  - HTTPResponse object now has getFinalUrl() method for 302
redirects.
      http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1464
  - Java Dev Appserver now automatically executes tasks.  If you
prefer the old
    behavior where tasks do not automatically execute you can use the
      -Dtask_queue.disable_auto_task_execution flag when starting the
server.
  - Additional file extensions permitted when sending mail.
      http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=494
  - Fixed issue with Java mail handler not processing multipart
messages
    correctly.
  - Fixed agent code included in appengine-local-runtime.jar results
in
    RuntimeException.
      http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2280
  - Fixed issue with sort orders defined on properties that allow
multiple
    values.
      http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2349
  - Fixed problem with dropped query strings after requiring log-in.
      http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2225
  - Removed limitation preventing multiple parameters with the same
name.
      http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2090
  - Fixed issue with local datastore incorrectly sorting results of
ancestor queries.
      http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2177
  - New Index building status page in the Admin Console
  - Task Queue now supports purging queues, and deleting tasks and
queues via
    the Admin Console.
      http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2159
      http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1740
  - Over Quota HTTP status code changed from 403 to 503, other to 500.
  - Task Queue now considers all HTTP 2xx status codes to represent
success.

ORM Changes

  - Explicitly disallow multiple relationships of the same type
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=154
  - Occasional ArrayOutOfBoundsIndexException
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=156
  - Support inheritance
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=25
  - Support != queries
  - Support IN queries
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=39
  - Inheritance is working for simple fields and embedded fields.
Relationships
    in base classes are completely untested and probably do not work.
  - Cannot add child to existing one-to-many if parent has Long or
unencoded String pk
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=28
  - Can't query by embedded fields at depth > 1
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=120
  - Positional parameters don't work (JPQL)
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=128
  - Throw JDOCanRetryException when ConcurrentMod hit during txn
commit
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=134
  - Respect JDOQL/JPQL case sensitivity for keywords, in particular
"count"
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=139
  - Put all native datastore types in the default fetch group
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=143
  - Empty Set gets loaded from datastore as null
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=145
  - Cannot remove element of one to many when parent has pk of type
Long or unencoded String
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=126
  - Severe problem when deleting a child object from an owned
relationship (JDO)
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=135
  - NPE resulting from corrupt JDOQL query
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=136
  - Embedded, multi-value fields don't work
      http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=146