Why isn't there a system property that can be used to detect if a
program is running on appengine?

This is really a glaring oversight.  I would expect something like
System.getProperty("google.appengine") to be "development" or
"production" (or of course null).

Before someone says "check the servlet context", realize that this is
grossly inadequate - library writers do not have access to the servlet
context.

I'm trying to get the Hessian RPC library working on appengine so we
have an easy-to-use web services protocol.  One of the first things
the hessian java client does is teardown any keepalive connections by
making a quick request expired at 10ms.  This terminates with a caught
IOException in the normal world, but produces an
ApiDeadlineExceededException in appengine.

I'd like to simply short-circuit this unnecessary behavior when
running on appengine.  I found the SecurityManager check but that
seems unreliable.  Why isn't there a nice easy system property?

Thanks,
Jeff