The compass solution is probably sufficient for pet projects.  If I
correctly recall, there are still serious scalability issues due to the way
indexes are currently stored and restrictions on app store blob size.  The
main issue is initial timeouts due to the GAE design flaw wrt startup /
initial request -> timeout.  Initializing compass, lucene, jdo, and serving
even a simple request cuts very close to the deadline.