By using the appropriate URLs as shown on the example,
        // The base URL for a user's calendar metafeed (needs a username
appended).
        private static final String METAFEED_URL_BASE = "http://
www.google.com/calendar/feeds/";

        // The string to add to the user's metafeedUrl to access the event
feed for their primary calendar.
        private static final String EVENT_FEED_URL_SUFFIX = "/private/full";

I could retrieve the calendars. But the log info messages below still
show:
    Dec 18, 2009 3:25:34 PM
    org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector isRedirectNeeded
    INFO: Redirect requested but followRedirects is disabled

    Dec 18, 2009 3:25:35 PM
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase getResponseBody
    WARNING: Going to buffer response body of large or unknown size.
Using getResponseBodyAsStream instead is recommended.