Can folks share their experience with best-case and worst-case request
times for the GAE/J application tier? I think its useful to isolate
the application tier performance as there is a lot of good info on
datastore performance and how to optimize it (e.g. use of Memcache,
etc...)

The worst case would be the initial request from a cold start.  If the
worst case is greater than the deadline, please include any estimate
on what percentage of cold starts exceed the deadline. The best case
would be for everything loaded. I may have missed existing summaries
in my search so a link to that may be the answer...

Here is a list of performance profiles that could be useful to track:

- best and worst case for pure static request that makes it to the
Google Front End. This provides the best case baseline.
- best and worst case for pure Servlet/JSP request doing Hello World.
This provides a baseline for isolating the low level application tier
processing.
- best and worst case for a pure Java framework like Wicket doing
Hello World .
- best and worst case for a lean dynamic language framework like
Gaelyk doing Hello World.
- best and worst case for a heavy dynamic language framework like
Grails and JRuby on Rails doing Hello World.

Thoughts on how to deal with the worst-case response time are already
being discussed (http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/12/request-
performance-in-java.html) and include  pre-compilation, optimization
of the start-up of the dynamic language runtimes and the use of keep-
awake pings. This thread will hopefully allow people to share specific
performance data that can motivate those efforts.

Best regards,

Gabe