I asked same question on Stack Overflow (http://stackoverflow.com/
questions/2051036/google-app-engine-application-instance-recycling-and-
response-times).

So far proposed solutions (in SO thread and found on other websites)
do not satisfy me. Creating cron or any other kind of periodic HTTP
requests to keep instance up and running make no sense. First - there
is no evidence that this instance will serve next coming request (eg.
from different network location etc.), second - it will consume Quota
(which is less a problem).

Other solution - refactoring app - replacing critical functionality
with lightweight servlet - sounds better, but is GAE forcing to go
back to CGI programming style? And I could replace let say - API
calls, but to keep UI in better performance shape I would need to
throw away Spring MVC.

Can anyone confirm that this behavior will not be fixed (yes fixed -
as I think it is a blocker for any serious GAE usage)? Or can anyone
suggest different solution?

Thanks
Konrad