I have performed more testing.  I can send pic messages using the
exact same email address (hosted by google) which is used to send pics
out from my app engine application.  However, I have not been able to
get a configuration to work directly from app engine.  It is critical
that I get this working.

Google,
  Could this be due to the mail server (that app engine uses) which
verizon does not trust?