yes, the new console is a good addition. however, because the app can be
shutdown/restarted by GAE at any time, you would still need to put the
initialization code in context listener (or similar place) so that it will
be called automatically when the app is restarted.

I just realize a potential major issue in GAE environment, which may require
some paradigm shift in server programming (at least to me). Usually, one the
server side, you may have a singleton class to keep some data objects
closeby as well as updating the data at run time. The data may change so
fast that they are conveniently kept in memory for some time before put into
permanent storage. This is safe because the web server does not kill the app
at will. Now that GAE may kill the app and restart it at any time, keeping
data in memory becomes a big potential problem because the data will be gone
after the app starting. This means you would have to save the new data into
datastore immediately. If you have lots of intermediate data or temporary
data, you have to save them to datastore immediately as well. This
always-using-datastore situation created by GAE may slow down some
applications in addition to a lot more coding for storage.

Without knowing what exactly happens when GAE automatically shutdowns the
app, my worry may be wrong.  Does anyone see the similar issue?  Any
suggestion for safely keeping data in memory?

-aj

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Vlad Skarzhevskyy
<skarzhevs...@gmail.com>wrote:

> There is an Custom Admin Console pages in new SDK 1.3.1.
> I think the best place to preload the data to your application is
> using servlet/page exposed in this Console.

AJ Chen, PhD
Chair, Semantic Web SIG, sdforum.org
http://web2express.org
@web2express on twitter