The Google App Engine instructions focus on JDO for the datastore
implementation.  JDO doesn't have the traditional "update" function.
You either modify it and close the persistence manager that returned
the object (it knows it changed and updates accordingly) or you just
persist the object again with the same ID to overwrite it.

See:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/datastore/creatinggettinganddeletingdata.html#Updating_an_Object

I believe JPA has an update feature, but if you're new to it I suggest
JDO since it has better documentation in GAE.

Jake