I'm pretty sure the "your datastore is empty" message on the admin
data viewer pages doesn't mean that his query, in his application
code, returned no results.

While I don't disagree with you that the data is still in there I'm
pretty what you just described is documented in the behavior of
indexes in the data-store pretty thoroughly. If you don't index a
property (or don't store it) you can not sort or search for it.

As an example of your data is there, but completely invisible, try
changing your app-id in your appengine-web.xml and looking at the
admin page data viewer after a restart.