Hello Ikai,

I guess many of us have the same problem. It would be good to have
some general advice on that.
Unfortunatly GAE only offers build in authentication for the admin
users or for users within a apps domain.

So what I did is a simple table with the users gmail addresses that
are allowed to access my app. If I can retrieve a user from the
content and his/her email corresponds to the one I have saved, I let
them in.
UserServiceFactory.getUserService().getCurrentUser()

If not I redirect them to the Google login page:
response.sendRedirect(UserServiceFactory.getUserService().createLoginURL(redirect));

This solution works quite well but somehow I do not like it. I have
the strong feeling that  I build something that must already be there
somehow.
Also users have not the option to add my site as "trusted" so they
have to log in whenever they come back to my page. I do not know how
to work around that.
The only advantage is that I can have alternatively the possibility
for users to create an extra account on my site...

You mentioned oauth and somewhere I read about friendconnect. I can
not see how exactly that fits into the framework. Why cant we just
have a google authentication build into GAE. With a users list as we
do for the account admins and a simple rule to throw into the web.xml.
+some way for users to self-register if the application developer
wants that.This way no-one needs to reinvent the wheel.

Does such a thing maybe already exist? Or is it on the road-map? Or is
there a good approach you would advice?

Thanks,

Toby