I think you have to use two queries and merge the results afterwards
in your code. As you said, datastore does not allow you to use
inequality filters and logical "or" operators on more than one
property. I guess from a performance perspective this doesn't make
much difference. Appengine would have to translate the statement into
separate queries anyway.

Cheers, Chris