Memcache data is never persisted to disk, so in the event of a Memcache
server restart, you will lose all the data in Memcache. In addition,
Memcache evicts items based on an LRU cache: if you don't use data for a
while and space is needed, the item will be removed from your cache to allow
for your new items. You can read more about Memcache here:

http://code.google.com/p/memcached/wiki/FAQ

<http://code.google.com/p/memcached/wiki/FAQ>

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 12:59 AM, aswath satrasala <
aswath.satras...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Ikai,
> I am interested in Sequences, sequence starting from a initial value and
> increments.
> Can you little bit elaborate here on what is the risk with volatile here
> when using memcache.
>
> Regards
> -Aswath
>

> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Ikai L (Google) <ika...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you looked into Memcache's INCR?
>>

>> http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/javadoc/com/google/appengine/api/memcache/MemcacheService.html#increment(java.lang.Object<http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/javadoc/com/google/appengine/api/memcache/MemcacheService.html#increment%28java.lang.Object>
>> ,
>> long)
>>
>> This'll do it atomically, but you run the risk of it being volatile,
>> so you'll have to account for that in your client code.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:40 PM, legendlink <gregc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > hi, i wanted to have a sequence generator that increments by x value
>> > everytime it generates a value. if i would create the sequence
>> > generator by using the datastore, it is likely that data contention
>> > would occurr if there is high access times.
>> >
>> > i have looked into the sample code of max ross in the google code
>> > repository (SequenceExamplesJDO.java) and  think this is limited to
>> > increment by 1 only and not increment by x value.
>> >
>> > if sharding technique is used, my concern is that i might not get the
>> > right sequence.
>> >
>> > what is the best/elegant way of doing sequence generator that
>> > increments x value?
>> >
>> > --
>> http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-java?hl=en.
>> >

>> --
>> Ikai Lan
>> Developer Programs Engineer, Google App Engine
>> http://googleappengine.blogspot.com | http://twitter.com/app_engine
>>
>> --
>>

>  --

Ikai Lan