It may require a bit of typing (one time), but may I suggest just
explicitly scheduling each of the 14 cron jobs, staggered
appropriately. Use the following variety of syntax to specify the
schedule:

  every N (hours|mins|minutes) ["from" (time) "to" (time)]
  (from
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/config/cron.html#The_Schedule_Format)

E.g.,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<cronentries>
  <cron>
    <url>/foo/task1</url>
    <schedule>every 30 minutes from 00:00 to 23:29</schedule>
  </cron>
  <cron>
    <url>/foo/task2</url>
    <schedule>every 30 minutes from 00:02 to 23:31</schedule>
  </cron>
  <cron>
    <url>/foo/task3</url>
    <schedule>every 30 minutes from 00:04 to 23:33</schedule>
  </cron>
  <!-- tasks 4 thru 13 go here -->
  <cron>
    <url>/foo/task14</url>
    <schedule>every 30 minutes from 00:28 to 23:57</schedule>
  </cron>
</cronentries>