A pointer to the related Stack Overflow question, where I've provided *an*
answer, related to needing to fetch child objects before closing the
PersistenceManager:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9049491/org-datanucleus-exceptions-nucleususerexception-object-manager-has-been-closed/

Though, I see that you're not sure whether this is the issue you're running
into.  You might do a test in which you explicitly fetch the data from
every field you'll need to later access in the detatched objects, while
you're still in the open PersistenceManager context, and see if this fixes
the problem.