So it can't find a related Entity. You could obviously use the DB
viewer (or a low level API call) to check whether it is present (with
that Key), and look in the log for whether it was PUT.

Can't speak for Google but I'm sure nobody has interest in private
code, though I'm sure that it ought to be perfectly simple to generate
a testcase something akin to the format used by DataNucleus
http://www.datanucleus.org/project/problem_jdo_testcase.html
if the issue is as clear as you say in terms of reproducing it. And
then you can raise an issue in Googles issue tracker with the
testcase; obviously without the testcase then nobody, other than you,
can see it.