Can students install Eclipse and run Hello, World on GAE in 3.5 hours?
 Almost certainly.  How much more sophisticated can the sample project
get?  This is a hard thing to judge without knowing your students.
Back when I was a CSc student, data structures was a 200-level class
and few (if any) students would have been ready to build a web
application (especially since there was no web... but that's beside
the point).  Maybe students are more savvy today, but my guess is that
learning how to develop a GAE app would simply distract from learning
data structures.

Jeff