Is "index building" a once-off thing that happens when a new index is
uploaded to the production site, or does this also apply after every
single put() or delete() call to the Datastore?

I hope it's the former and not the latter, as this would be a deal
breaker for a lot of companies looking to move/create their
applicatons on GAE.

If it is the former, is there an ETA on when the index building time
will come down to an acceptable level (in the seconds rather than
hours)?

Nick