According to the post mortem from the last outage, the eventually consistent
option will have higher latency (=bad) than the strongly consistent option,
in exchange for higher availability during an unexpected failure (=good).

>From the post mortem:

infrastructural change in App Engine. Currently, App Engine provides a
one-size-fits-all Datastore, that provides low write latency combined
with strong consistency, in exchange for lower availability in
situations of unexpected failure in one of our serving datacenters. In
response to this outage, and feedback from our users, we have begun
work on providing two different Datastore configurations:

- The current option of low-latency, strong consistency, and lower
availability during unexpected failures (like a power outage)

- A new option for higher availability using synchronous replication
for reads and writes, at the cost of significantly higher latency"

Can someone from Google please answer these questions:

With the eventually consistent option, will both Datastore reads and writes
have higher latency, or just writes?

Does the higher availability of the eventually consistent option only apply
to Datastore reads (ie. writes will have the same availability as with the
strongly consistent option during outages)?

Nick