However the href= will need url encoding (in particular the &'s), so
that pushes the length upto 2588 chars.

Depending on how you generating the link, perhaps an idea would be to
accept links in the form

http://chart.apis.google.com.shorten.myapp.appspot.com/chart?cht=lxy&ch....

Then the bit after the / doesnt need any additional url encoding - its
exactly as it would be at the end point.