I have experienced exactly the same problem since two weeks ago.  I have a
system with 100 restaurantes and 1000 users working without problem, but
suddenly, since two weeks ago, every day at rush hour, the tasks in the
task queue have experience a long delay in their start, two weeks before
was only 1 or 2 seconds, now if 15 to 60 seconds, impacting the user
experience and usability.  I have to modify all the code with taskqueues
and changing it to urlfetch request async qithout waiting for the rpc.  The
worst is that the task are causing a dealine exeeded 123 error, losing
between 50 to 1000 request every day.   The task and my proceses are very
fast, the last only from 50ms to 3 seconds, not more, but I get a lot of
them with 60000ms and more and get cancelled without starting (i have
logging.debug message at the very begiining of every task/process that
never get executed).  I have 2 idel instances and all the settings to
increase the instances without restriction.  The start time of my instacnes
is only 1 second, there are no special processes in the booting.  I have 6
modules, separated modules for the task and the problem is affecting the
module that call the task.add (not the module that executes the task).  I
made all the changes to avoid datastore contention, I deactivated the logs,
I use a lot the memcache, I changed the F1 instances to F2, ant this error
continues.  And it APPEARED TWO WEEKS AGO.  I have 1 year and a half runing
my app, without problems, and suddenly this problem appeared.

This is a HUUUUGE problem, it make me thing about quit GAE and search
another provider if I don't get a solution and explanation soon.  My
customers are very angry and everyday I loose requests (deadline exceeded
error, I receive 2 or 3 phone calls).  My system is mission critical and 1
munute without answers to request make my customer lose money.

If any google engineer wants more detailed, I kindly offer all my support,
I'm engineer with near 30 years experience and 3 years working with GAE
Python and many Google Tools (Angular, Firebase, GCP, etc).  I can bet that
the problem is more related to the platform than to my code.

Rene Marty

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/aad9c4d4-5789-4715-bdd6-5e327753691a%40googlegroups.com.