Or maybe even use XMPP, to 'chat' with itself.
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/java/xmpp/

The front end just sends a chat message.

The backend worker subscribes to the channel, and performs the POSTs

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAJCAUuJYCSksmDhzy5SnN8Nh%2BzSGPQfPiRzZKvA8th02eg94Tg%40mail.gmail.com.