We also use App Engine for our game content, and in our case, all our game
data is just stored in Python modules. In 'code' as you will. An advantage
of this is that you can easily send game data back just from instance
memory.

For us the increase in startup time is negligible, although I do not have
experience with Java. My impression would be that this approach should work
fine for few thousand constants.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/5e7bfa3d-b064-4f9d-b850-c771d6af299d%40googlegroups.com.