Hi,
Our team has the same issue, and it is still bothering us a lot.
Please see the issue.
https://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=12564

It was raised with the Google Appengine production team.

To support the Google team for the evidence, our team slimmed down our
project and submitted minimal code which can be verified by the appengine
team

Specifically see #59 comments.
https://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=12564#c59

"2) This happens in part because the the servlet container is threaded and
will attempt to service requests as soon as it is able. There can also be
some startup activity that is not handled by the warmup request and can
only occur within the first request (eg. classpath scanning). How much
depends on the libraries and frameworks you are using and how much you are
able to handle in your warmup request handler."

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Thomas Taschauer <t...@zuper.at> wrote:

> One thing I noticed is that the first request(s?) served by a fresh
> instance will always be really slow. Not that they stay in the request
> queue for a longer time (which is expected behaviour of course), but they
> have long "pauses" in the middle of the request as you mentioned before,
> usually up to 5 seconds in my case.
>
> What I'm going to test next is upgrading to F2 - hoping for smaller pauses
> due to a faster CPU - and reverting other scaling-options to default (used
> max_concurrent_requests and max_idle_instances before) hoping for the
> AppEngine scaler to figure it out himself. :)
>
> On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 1:13:42 PM UTC+2, troberti wrote:
>>
>> Great to hear that it helps. Actually, if you are using F4s, I might try
>> a slightly higher max_concurrent_requests , say 4. Again, test and compare
>> to be sure.
>>
>> Finally, to reduce costs, I would recommend to set max_idle_instances to
>> 1. Keep min_idle_instances to what you need for your application. For us
>> this reduces cost significantly without any apparent drawbacks.
>>
>> On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 11:44:34 AM UTC+2, Trevor wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, I have to say thank you very, very much. Thanks to your advice we
>>> have our lowest latency in 3 years! Sub 300ms average.  As expected though,
>>> we are now sitting on 21 billed f4 instances, which will potentially cost
>>> us in the order of 3x our current ($30-40 -> $100+), but we will tweak that
>>> from tomorrow onwards. Peak hour is about to hit so we are going to see if
>>> the system can keep sub-300ms at the current "automatic" setting for
>>> scaling. But yes, once again, thank you for solving in 5 minutes what I
>>> have been working on doing for 2 weeks (my tears are from joy and sadness
>>> all at once)
>>>

>>> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eEUuw3hSLYU/V3Tox-bhe6I/AAAAAAAAQWM/zPzgBRJkRHcoBSPmVrP2xsmN2FDK6Yl_wCLcB/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2016-06-30%2Bat%2B18.37.20.png>
>>>

>>> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4c7xvBsQ_tk/V3TpBfSBUWI/AAAAAAAAQWU/0tgD4v43X44D5Q-gBULBeQu11KIApRPYQCLcB/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2016-06-30%2Bat%2B18.39.51.png>

>>> --
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/90b5d4dc-98c1-44b1-bf6f-147302350e7e%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/90b5d4dc-98c1-44b1-bf6f-147302350e7e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Regards,
Rajesh
*www.VeersoftSolutions.com <http://www.VeersoftSolutions.com>*
*www.GainERP.com <https://www.gainerp.com>*
*Accounting/Inventory/Orders on Google Cloud Platform and Mobile*

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CA%2BS7ijY6AKD2B%2BBtKOcn0Yfs8_psY1dPAw48bZToZeAYtTuzfg%40mail.gmail.com.