Hello Nick,
There is no enough documentation to get started with using a localserver ->
RemoteServer
It is suggested to use the following on the local server to access remote

RemoteApiOptions options = new RemoteApiOptions()
     .server("myappid.appspot.com", 443),
     .useApplicationDefaultCredential();

What is 'useApplicationDefaultCredential() on the local server.

What extra settings or login code is required on the local.  I run a local
server and login as t...@example.com.  Is it good enough?

There is some documentation on using the above in the standalone client.
Not sure, what is the procedure from a local server client.

Request the Google team to add more documentation and examples and help
developers when there are changes made to the platform like this.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CA%2BS7ijZ%3D1k6941dCktBLG2-nmZRW9C09UDBk5YQ%2BQcOc44t-Ow%40mail.gmail.com.