Hey Ted,

This may be caused by lacking a default handler in the app.yaml shown.
Could you try to add a default handler like the following and see if it
stops the issue?

- url: /*
  script: simple.handler

In this case you'd need to make a simple.py file which makes a webapp2 app
by the name of handler which simply responds with a 200 to all requests.

I determined that this might be useful by checking a prior thread
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-appengine/ZWV1x2BFETw>
where another user had seen this behaviour.

Once this is replicated we'll proceed to get the issue tracked internally,
probably as a request for more clear warning messages.

Cheers,

Nick
Cloud Platform Community Support

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/4b02c3e8-cc19-47b9-a0d5-9c346d3dc9c1%40googlegroups.com.