Thanks for the suggestion Karolína. All of these projects have had
min_idle_instances at default and have been that way since they were
created most are at least 6 months with the current configuration and
incurring no charges.

Billing indicates the charges are front end hours, but if you look at
appengine > quotas > usage history every day shows 0 charges for the month.

I'm thinking that for some period of time, a couple days perhaps, our
projects were charged as if the free 28 frontend hours did not exist. The
amount of hours billed does seem generally related to the traffic of the
site, but as I said these sites are extremely low traffic and would on a
very busy day would not reach 20 frontend hours.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/d1e514c1-5b6a-4cde-8470-692fb62e91df%40googlegroups.com.