I am starting with a push PubSub, and manually test a PUSH PubSub service.
To the end I created a topic, a push subscription, and then manually submit
a message from the google web console to a GAE app with a https endpoint.
These manual messages result in 400 (see below) in the logs.

curl test of the same end point is working fine.

What am I missing?

This is flex environment with custom, albeit php, runtime

 {httpRequest: {
  referer:  "-"
  remoteIp:  "10.0.0.1"
  requestMethod:  "POST"
  requestUrl:  "/pubsub/mypushendpoint"
  responseSize:  "32607"
  status:  400
  userAgent:  "CloudPubSub-Google"
 }
 insertId:  "XXXXXXXX"
 jsonPayload: {
  latencySeconds:  "0.026"
  time:  null
  trace:  "XXXXXXX"
 }
 labels: {
  appengine.googleapis.com/instance_name:  "XXXXXXX"
  appengine.googleapis.com/trace_id:  "XXXXXXX"
  compute.googleapis.com/resource_id:  "XXXXXXX"
  compute.googleapis.com/resource_name:  "XXXXXXX"
  compute.googleapis.com/zone:  "XXXXXXX"
 }
 logName:
"projects/XXXXXXX/logs/appengine.googleapis.com%2Fnginx.request"
 receiveTimestamp:  "XXXXXXX"
 resource: {
  labels: {
   module_id:  "XXXXXXX"