Yep, this is really easy do reproduce in the standard env as well. Just
deploy a new version, migrate traffic to the new version. The
old version still keeps instances running (in my case both python and java).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/8126f6c8-9971-468b-8184-3f2fa0b73936%40googlegroups.com.