It seems your code-base has grown into a quite huge monolithic app. If you
haven't done yet, you might look into this: Microservices Architecture on
Google App Engine
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/microservices-on-app-engine>.

You could expand your app by putting new models / handlers into new apps
using this pattern, and eventually also use a different storage product for
them. It also depends on your existing app and the roadmap, how well you
can separate the new parts without refactoring the old app.

You cannot do a transaction across Cloud Datastore and Cloud SQL or Cloud
Spanner.

You also should keep in mind that every product comes with different
advantages and disadvantages and you need to figure out which trade-offs
make most sense for your technical and business requirements. Considering a
mature app that has to cover many different use-cases, maybe you will pick
more than one storage product to meet all of them.

And although I don't know if that's the case here, worth to mention: I
often have seen a (composite) index used in Datastore only for user-facing
searches where Search API would have made much more sense. Refactoring such
cases can be quite easy if your app is the only client writing into its GCD.

Good luck!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/4bce3e58-b220-4783-8971-7d2f821b947f%40googlegroups.com.