After some more research and experimentation, I believe that I solved the
mystery. So again, on the page

https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/app/deploy

is says that you can deploy Java services to App Engine standard with
"gcloud app deploy", and on the page

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/tools/migrating-from-appcfg-to-gcloud

it says that you cannot. On the page

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/config/appref

it says that one of the differences between deploying a Java app with
appcfg and with "gcloud app deploy"
is that the default for making a jar of the class files was "false" under
appcfg, but has changed to "true"
when using "gcloud app deploy". There was a reason why the default used to
be "false": the jarring of
the class files changes the class loading order, in a manner that is likely
to break apps that use web
frameworks, which is pretty much every app, including mine. So I made
"gcloud app deploy" use the
former default behavior by adding

 <staging>
     <enable-jar-classes>false</enable-jar-classes>
 </staging>

to my appengine-web.xml . And Bingo, deploying my Java app to App Engine
Standard with "gcloud app deploy"
now works like a charm.

I would like to respectfully request to not change the default values of
options. Changing default vaules of options
is likely to cause a lot of people a lot of pain.

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 9:40:31 AM UTC-6, Thomas Becker wrote:

> Thanks for the information. As a suggestion, you may want to correct the
> page
>
> https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/app/deploy
>
> On that page, in the example section, it says, To deploy an App Engine
> Standard Java service, run:
>

> $ gcloud app deploy
> <https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/app/deploy>
> ~/my_app/WEB-INF/appengine-web.xml
>

> On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 8:14:37 AM UTC-6, Kenworth (Google Cloud
> Platform) wrote:
>>
>> Per this article
>> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/tools/migrating-from-appcfg-to-gcloud>,
>>
>> currently the gcloud command-line tool does not deploy Java applications to
>> production App Engine. So if you use the Cloud SDK to develop in Java on
>> App Engine, you must use the Cloud SDK-based Maven
>> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/quickstart> or
>> Gradle plugins to deploy applications.
>>
>> mvn appengine:deploy

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/d17d5a9d-7750-4afe-a9f0-32e1a52bce06%40googlegroups.com.
  • [google-appengine... 'Kenworth (Google Cloud Platform)' via Google App Engine
    • [google-appe... Thomas Becker
      • [google-... Thomas Becker
        • [goo... 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
          • ... Thomas Becker
            • ... 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
              • ... Thomas Becker
                • ... Brian de Alwis
                • ... Thomas Becker
                • ... ABR Arun
                • ... Attila-Mihaly Balazs
                • ... 'Dan S (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine