I see you followed instructions provided in this GitHub link[1]. From the
details provided in your Custom nginx config file, I do not see any
mis-configuration. Can you however, confirm that this file was added to the
project root directory[2]? I also wonder if index.php is used as the
framework front controller or your project uses something different.

[1]https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/php-docker/blob/master/php-onbuild/README.md#how-to-change-nginxconfig
[2]https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/php/runtime#customizing_nginx