Firstly, since connecting using TCP connection with JDBC is not supported
on App Engine Standard[1], I assume your application is in an App Engine
flexible environment.

>From the snippet of your code shared, I really do not see anything wrong
with your implementation, it seems no different from the sample code shared
on this page[2--See the Java section]. As you may already know, there are
quite a number of reasons why a Communications link failure would be
returned from a DB, which includes running out of memory resource and wrong
information about the DB. This Stackoverflow thread[3] discusses different
possibilities, keeping in mind that CloudSQL is only a Google-Managed mySQL
product.

For better troubleshooting of the issue, which may involve reviewing
configurations on your Project, I recommend you contact the GCP Support
Engineers[4] or if you think this issue is a bug and you are using the
appropriate User account but it is failing, then open an issue using this
link[5].

[1]https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/mysql/connect-app-engine#standard
[2]https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/mysql/connect-app-engine#connecting_to
[3]https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2983248/com-mysql-jdbc-exceptions-jdbc4-communicationsexception-communications-link-fai